Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Never Enough Watermelon

Today is national watermelon day. Watermelon is one of my all time favorite fruits and I can never get enough. So of course I had to celebrate and more than once. First was at lunch. I am not in sales, so I have to make sure that I am back in the office right at 1:00pm which makes it hard to go out for lunch. I knew that Milestone's had a watermelon salad, so I called and made a reservation and I pre-ordered so that it would be ready right away and would have lots of time for lunch. I sat down and 5 minutes later my watermelon and roast beet salad was placed in front of me.

To make it more substancial, I got a piece of salmon added to it, but it was still different than when I had ordered it in the past. Instead of big chuncks of roasted beets, there were 4 tiny pieces of roasted golden beets that were almost indistinguishable. I was disappointed. Thankfully, there was a lot of delicious and sweet watermelon and that helped to make up for the lack of beets. The watermelon was placed atop a bed of romaine hearts and arugula and adorned with goat cheese and glazed pecans. The salad was dressed with a lemon chardonnay vinaigrette. I was happy with the most of the salad, but disappointed with the beets.





I had read on twitter a couple of days ago that Brava Bistro had a watermelon salad on their current menu and I knew I had to try it. On my way home from my workout, I stopped in and was excited for my second serving of watermelon for the day.


This salad was quite different than the one I had for lunch, but I enjoyed it a lot more. This one had cherry tomato's, cucumber, red onion, a chunk of feta cheese dressed with a red wine mint vinaigrette and this time I got some prawns added to the salad. I got them to crack a little black pepper on top and it was perfect. The salad had all the needed requirements to be tasty. It was sweet, tangy, salty and a hint of spice. It was refreshing and a great dinner. To go with the salad, I decided on the Sangria Blanco and it was nice and light and matched the salad perfectly. I thought that was the last of the watermelon for the day, but then there is always dessert. I always look at the dessert menu, even if I am full or don't plan on actually ordering dessert. You just never know! I asked what kind of sorbet they had today and to my surprise, it was watermelon!! Of course I couldn't say no to that and I had to continue my watermelon feast. It was really refreshing and the perfect end to my meal. Who doesn't love watermelon?!

No comments:

Post a Comment